Our School’s COVID Plan
Parents and Guardians
Welcome to our COVID response page. Below you’ll find all the
critical information about how school P.S. 154
is changing the way we operate to reduce the risk
of COVID infection.
We are doing everything we can to make sure staff,
students, and families are safe.
Please check back regularly, as we will update
the information here as conditions change.
also has important information and resources for you.
BLENDED LEARNING SCHEDULE FOR FALL 2020
We are starting the school year with a Blended learning schedule. That means that your child will be in school some days and working from home some days.
- Group A will be in school on Tuesdays and Thursdays and working from home Wednesdays and Fridays.
- Group B will be in school on Wednesdays and Fridays and working from home Tuesdays and Thursdays.
- Mondays Group A and Group B will switch every other Monday of the month.
- Always refer to the monthly P.S. 154 School Calendar.
- If you need to switch your child's in-school learning days, contact Mr. Mario – Parent Coordinator by email: email@example.com.
- If you would prefer a 100% online learning schedule for your child this year, we are offering that as an option. Contact Mr. Mario – Parent Coordinator by email: firstname.lastname@example.org. and to enroll please go to the DOE website https://www.nycenet.edu/surveys/learningpreference
- The school day will run from 8:30 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. Students may be dropped off no earlier than 8:30 and must be picked up promptly at the end of the school day at 2:00pm.
HOW BLENDED LEARNING WORKS
Blended learning combines in-class instruction and at-home learning. This allows us to limit the number of students in the building each day for safe social distancing, while still ensuring that students can benefit from direct interaction with teachers and peers
Blended learning is an approach to education that combines online educational materials and opportunities for interaction online with traditional place-based classroom methods. It requires the physical presence of both teacher and student, with some elements of student control over time, place, path, or pace.
Blended learning that uses apps, games, or measurable programs to teach concepts allows students to engage the material at their own pace. ... It can promote deeper learning, reduce stress, and increase student satisfaction. Teachers can become more engaged with their students
HOW REMOTE LEARNING WORKS
- Combines synchronous (live teaching) with asynchronous (not live teaching) methods to provide all learners with optimal learning experiences.
- Participate in video/real time lessons.
- Complete assigned work/learning activities to the best of their ability and by the due dates indicated.
- Read at least 20 minutes every day.
- Establish a daily routine and provide an appropriate space to support student learning.
- Review assigned work, discuss expectations with your child and communicate with teachers.
- Set limits on technology use for games, social media, etc.
- Emphasize the importance of learning and education
- Expect your child to read at least 20 minutes everyday.
- It is important that students get an appropriate amount of sleep each night.
YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES WHILE IN THE SCHOOL BUILDING
We have put safety procedures in place to keep our students and staff healthy.
Masks: Masks must be worn at all times by all adults (teachers, staff, and visitors) and by all students in PRE-K and up while in the building.
Handwashing: Students and staff are expected to wash hands thoroughly before and after eating, after using the bathroom, if exposed to body fluids (like saliva or a sneeze), and at other times necessary throughout the day.
Drop-off and pickup procedures: Please maintain social distancing between families during drop-off and pickup. Parents must pick up their children on time.
- Health Screening : All students and adults will have their temperature checked and must complete the health screening form prior to entering the school building. The completed form must be shown to staff members upon arrival. The health form can be found in different languages on the school website www.ps154queensny.org.